Conveyancing – Property Law
The first thing that I recommend to you when you decide to buy a property is to find an independent legal advisor before paying any deposits.
My law firm covers the whole legal process involved with purchasing and selling properties in Spain.
If you do not live in Spain or if you are not able to stay during the purchase or the sale of the property, I can help you prepare a power of attorney that you could sign in the nearest Spanish Consulate of your country.
My office offers a service of getting the NIE application process in the Spanish Consulate or in Spain, preparing all legal documents needed for completion the application form.
During the process of the purchase, what can my law firm do?
- Firstly, I contact the real estate agent in order to check all the documents that they have.
- If I need more information I search it in the Land Property Office, Town Hall, community of ownership, official organisms…
- I study all of the documents and then I prepare a report of the legal situation (360º assessment).
This report also includes a reference of the risk that you submit if you buy the house.
This assessment of the risk situation allows the buyer to negotiate the conditions and terms of the contract.
- Once we know the status of the property I study and prepare the reserve contract.
- I contact the Notary office for preparing all the necessary documents in order to sign the purchase/selling Deed.
- I accompany you to the Notary for signing the Deeds or signing the Deeds on your behalf with a power of attorney.
- I prepare the tax forms and I ensure that the taxes are properly paid and also that there are no pending taxes from the seller.
- I assist you on how to connect utilities in your new property. If the house is older than 10 years or there is not a “cédula de primera ocupación” it is necessary to present in the City Council an architect report, pay taxes etc. so I can help you managing these tasks.
Selling your property in spain
I am also specialist in helping my clients during the process. My law firm can also help you with a power of attorney if you are not able to meet with the notary in the moment of the sale.
Once you have sold your house you need to pay the taxes as you are not tax resident in Spain, and you must do it between the following 30 natural days. If you are not a Spanish tax resident you must allow the buyer to keep 3% of the total amount in order to pay directly the tax in your name into the Spanish Tax Organization. This way Spanish Tax Law guarantees the collection of the taxes.